Selwyn College MCR Selwyn College MCR Selwyn College MCR

Selwyn College MCR

Getting Around

By Bike

Cambridge is very much a cyclist's town. Most roads have cycle lanes, and it seems that almost everyone is on a bike. Nevertheless, the cars, the flagstones and the tourists can be a serious hazard to cyclists. Buy a helmet and make sure your lights work if you are going out or coming after dark. Without either of them you are risking a hefty police fine. Cycle helmets, lights, locks etc. can be bought from the bike shops in town e.g. Station Cycles underneath the Grand Arcade, The Cambridge Cycle Centre on Botolph's Lane, The Cycle King on Mill Road, Drake's on Hills Road, Haywood's on Laundress Lane, and others. The Bikeman on the market also supplies bikes, accessories and value-for-money repair services, on most weekdays. It is also worth noting that Selwyn MCR subsidises the cost of lights and helmets. Contact the Treasurers for more information on this. 

In addition, cyclists should ensure that they comply with all the relevant legal requirements. Brakes and lights should be in good working order. The practice of cyclists ignoring red traffic lights, particularly at the Silver Street/Queens Road junction, is both dangerous and likely to attract the attention of the Police.  

Cars and Motorcycles

Graduates are not allowed to keep a car or motor cycle within ten miles of Cambridge without a University Licence. To obtain a University Licence you will need a special form obtainable from the Dean. This is taken to the Special Pro-Proctor for Motor Vehicles. His office is at 1 St Mary’s Passage, and is open during Term only on Mondays and Thursday between 14:00 - 16:00 (tel: 01223 333310, ). 

See also A charge will be made for parking each term, though exceptions may be made in special circumstances, or if the vehicle is required for a University or College club or society. A College Permit and University Licence are always required. 

Permission to have a motor vehicle in Cambridge is, without exception, dependent on suitable arrangements being made for off-street parking, and the Dean can advise on this. Cars may only be parked permanently in College with the written permission of the Dean. Pending completion of the Cripps Court refurbishment, permits for on-site parking are unlikely to be given. 

The Uni4 Bus

A weekday bus service, the Uni 4, links Addenbrooke’s Hospital and the Madingley Road Park and Ride with intermediate stops that include West Road, Grange Road and the West Cambridge Site. University Card holders pay a subsidised fare of 90p per single journey. The timetable can be found here.